In 1998, following a lifetime dedicated to the Martial Arts, Fred Evrard founded Kali Majapahit (KM), a holistic Filipino Martial Arts system. The first two KM schools were opened in Tahiti and Moorea (French Polynesia). In 2006, after a 4-year trip around the world for further studying martial arts and traditional medicines, Fred and his wife Lila, opened their 3rd KM school in Singapore. Today, KM is represented in Singapore (Headquarters), Indonesia, Japan, India, Tahiti, France, Germany, Finland, Switzerland, the Philippines, the Netherlands and the US.
The philosophy behind Kali Majapahit is that Martial Arts training is not only about physical skills, focus and self-confidence, but also about reaching challenging goals, and building up our health and energy level. Every class will emphasize 3 aspects of the Art: Self-defense & Martial Arts, Health (including nutrition, posture correction, breathing, etc.), and Personal Growth. A comprehensive rotating curriculum makes our very efficient and unique Martial Art system accessible to anyone. KM also has a specific law enforcement program and is used by special forces and elite units around the world.
Our Mission is to positively impact the world and the life of others through our teaching and philosophy. We strive to be our very best in teaching martial arts, developing leadership skills in others, teaching personal development skills, a healthy lifestyle, ethics and moral. We lead by example.
Kali Majapahit (KM) is a Filipino Martial Arts system with elements of Indonesian Pencak Silat, Muay Thai, Western Boxing and Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do. KM was founded in Tahiti in 1998 and opened its current headquarters in Singapore in 2006. We now run programs for adults and children as well as special programs for private organizations, government and law enforcement agencies, all around the world.
Our Founder, Punong Guro Fred Evrard has been a martial artist for 42 years, teaching them for 30 years, and owns 14 Black Belts and Instructor certificates. Fred is also a CQC (Close Quarter Combat) instructor for different Law Enforcement Agencies all over the world, a former Red Beret (Paratrooper) in the French Army and a knife-defense and counter-terrorism consultant for the French Ministry of Defense.
Our training curriculum was designed to give students tools, not only for being the best possible martial artist, but also for living a better and healthier life; to provide them with great values, focus and energy; and finally to boost up their life with positivism, perseverance and confidence.
Kali Majapahit was created based on Punong Guro Fred Evrard’s extensive exposure to various martial arts, which he combined and borrowed the most effective concepts as a base for our system. It later evolved to build its own identity and concepts. Here are the sub-systems you are going to learn in our academies:
- KADENA DE MANO (Empty-hands/Self-defense) is a very efficient sub-system for self-defense, and teaches how to flow from one movement to another, using punches, palm strikes, elbows, knees, head-butts, take-downs, etc. Kadena de Mano means “chain of the hands”.
- DOBLE & SOLO BASTON (Double and Single Sticks) is great way to improve coordination, and one of the core sub-systems of Filipino Martial Arts. Using 1 or 2 sticks, at different distances, Filipino stick arts come from traditional fencing. Our double sticks system (doble baston) is called Sinawali ; Our single stick system (solo baston) is called Dequerdas (for Beginners) and Serrada (for Advanced).
- DAGA (Knife). Knife training develops specific self-defense skills, and precision and speed in one’s martial practice. “Blade work” is a specialty of Filipino Martial Arts.
- PANUNTUKAN (Boxing/Kickboxing) and DUMOG (Wrestling/Grappling). Often called “Filipino boxing” or “street boxing”, Panuntukan is also an amazing workout and provides a great boost to self-confidence. Dumog completes Panuntukan with throws, takedowns and grappling; they both have similarities with Muay Thai and MMA.
- TRANKADA (Joint Locks and Pressure Points) is a very deep and advanced sub-system, using locks and counter-locks to control an opponent or reverse a dangerous situation. It has similarities with Japanese ju-jitsu and Chinese Chin-na.
- LARGO MANO (Long Range Combat) derives from the long Filipino Kampilan sword and is the long range sub-system of FMA..
- ESPADA Y DAGA (Sword + Knife) is an advanced concept in FMA and brings stick (or sword) and knife training together, pushing the practitioner to become ambidextrous.
- SIBAT / BANGKOW (Spear / Long Staff) teaches students to manipulate longer weapons than the ones they are used to. The bangkow staff is approximately 150cm long and its use has similarities with “Northern Shaolin” long staff.
- SILAT is a fighting art from the Malay peninsula (Indonesia / Malaysia / Singapore). It is a very efficient martial art, using empty hands, weapons, sarong, etc. We also find Silat in Southern Philippines, especially in Mindanao.
- JEET KUNE DO Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do and its philosophy had a tremendous impact on Kali Majapahit. In the 60s Bruce Lee’s martial art evolved from what he called Jun Fan Kung Fu to Jeet Kune Do (the Way of the Intercepting Fist). JKD has been influenced by Wing Chun as well as Filipino Kali, French Savate, Fencing, Western boxing, Southern Praying Mantis, Taiji Quan… Guro Fred had the honor of training in JKD with PG Jeff Espinous, Guro Bob Breen, and Sifu Richard Bustillo (one of Bruce Lee’s first student).
- HILOT (Healing & Energy). After years of studies and researches in Tai Chi, Chi Gong, Meditation and Healing systems such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, Filipino Hilot, Acupuncture, Thai Massage, Osteopathy, Psychology and Nutrition, Fred Evrard has developed his own Health & Lifestyle program which is now included in our KM curriculum.
Our Ranking System
Our curriculum is built in such way that it is easy for students to learn and progress. At the end of every 3-month cycles, students, (adults and children alike), undergo testing and graduation to validate what was learned. Step by step, one belt at a time, students complete Beginners, Intermediates, Advanced and Experts curriculum to reach Black Belt level (when the journey really starts). This journey never ends and each level was designed with specific expectations. Beyond martial arts, it is a life journey that students take with the assistance of their instructors.
Adults Ranking System
Kids Ranking System
Lil’Ninja Ranking System
Punong Guro Fred Evrard
Fred Evrard is a professional martial arts instructor and international consultant in self-defense and counter-terrorism.
Fred was born in Paris, France in 1972 and started training in Martial Arts (Judo) at the age of 6. In 1998, following a lifetime dedicated to the Martial Arts and with the blessing of his masters, he founded his own style of martial arts, Kali Majapahit. In 2003, Fred and his wife Lila left their home in Tahiti for a 4-year-martial-arts-journey around the world. 4 years without going home, training all over the world with masters of different martial arts and doctors of traditional medicines.
They have visited and trained in China, Vietnam, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Tibet, the Philippines, Lebanon, the USA, Hawaii, Tahiti, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand, and more…; learning and teaching seminars all over the world.
In 2006, Fred and Lila opened the KM Headquarters in Singapore, and now have branches all over the world. Kali Majapahit is a synthesis of several Southeast Asian martial arts (Filipino, Indonesian and Thai), Western Boxing and Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do. Fred has been studying Martial Arts for more than 42 years and teaching them for 30 years.
Fred Evrard is also the co-founder of the R.E.D. (Recognize & Escape Danger) program and is a consultant for the French Ministry of Defense and several Law Enforcement and Special Forces units around the world both in Close Quarter Combat (CQC) and Counter-terrorism.
Fred Evrard did his military service as a paratrooper in the 9th RCP (Regiment of Chasseurs Parachute), and has since been a CQC and R.E.D. trainer for various units of law enforcement and military such as the Special Forces of the Philippines (FRU and SWAT), elite units of the Singapore Police (Security Command, Commando) and VIP Protection Units of Hong Kong and Singapore police forces (VIPPU) and several groups of special forces and elite units in France.
Fred is a 7th degree Black Belt instructor and owns the title of Punong Guro (Head Instructor & Founder of the style). In addition, he is an instructor in Parkour and an international speaker in the fields of personal development, nutrition and comparative religion studies.
Certifications & Trainings:
2016: Applied Micro-Facial Expressions (Paul Ekman Group – USA)
2015: 7th Degree Black Belt in Kali Majapahit
2012: Certified Parkour Coach Level 1 (ADAPT – Singapore)
2010: Certificate of recognition by the Special Reaction Unit of the Philippines National Police as a Tactical weapons and close-quarter combat Instructor (Manila, Philippines)
2009: Certified Dalubhasang Guro (Expert Instructor) in Filipino Kuntaw and Kali-Silat by Grand Master Frank Aycocho (International Kuntaw Federation – Manila, Philippines)
2009: Certificate of Recognition by the Philippines National Police Special Forces, as a Tactical Weapons and Close-Quarter-Combat Instructor (Baguio, Philippines)
2009: Senior Instructor in Pencak Silat Titipinang (Sijil Jurulatih Kanan – by Guru Utama M. Khamin, Singapore)
2008: Certificate of Recognition by the “Fullcon” Council of Masters (Baguio, Philippines)
2008: Instructor in Pencak Silat (by Guru Utama M. Khamin, Singapore)
2007: Recognized as the founder of Kali Majapahit and 6th Degree Black Belt (recognized by Punong Guro Jeff Espinous and the IKAEF – International Kali Arnis Eskrima Federation)
2004: 6th Degree Black Belt in Kempo (Maui Martial Arts Centre – Hawaii)
2001: Kali Sikaran Senior Instructor (by Punong Guro Jeff Espinous)
2001: IKAEF Federal Instructor (International Kali Arnis Eskrima Federation)
1999: Instructor in Inayan Kadena de Mano (by Mangisursuro Mike Inay)
1999: EKAEF Federal Instructor (European Kali, Arnis, Eskrima Federation)
1998: Instructor in Inayan Sinawali (by Mangisursuro Mike Inay)
1998: Instructor in Inayan De Querdas (by Mangisursuro Mike Inay)
1997: Certified in Sanda (Chinese kickboxing – Wenzhou, China)
1996: Military Parachute certification (9th RCP – French Army)
1991: Certified in Kung Fu Wushu (Hangzhou – China)
Guro Lila Evrard
Lila Evrard is a professional Martial Arts instructor with 40 years of experience.
Lila was born in Tahiti in 1976 and started training in Martial Arts with her father at the age of 5. She is recognized internationally as one of the top female Martial Arts instructors in the world and in 2010, was awarded “Filipino Martial Arts Woman of the Year”. Lila also teaches Boxing, Kickboxing, Conditioning, Tai Chi and Tahitian Dance, and has a Master Degree in law. In year 2003, following a lifetime dedicated to the Martial Arts, Lila quit her job as a lawyer, and with her husband Fred, left their home in Tahiti for a 4-year-martial-arts-trip around the world.
4 years without going home, training all over the world with Masters of several Martial Arts and doctors of traditional medicines. They have visited and trained in China, Vietnam, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Tibet, the Philippines, Lebanon, the USA, Hawaii, Tahiti, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand, and more; searching for knowledge and sharing it, teaching seminars all over the world.
Lila is the Co-founder of the Martial Arts style of Kali Majapahit. In 2006, Lila and Fred opened the KM Headquarters in Singapore, which now have branches all over the world. In addition, she is the co-founder, with her sister, of Tahitian Dance and Fitness program TDF (Tahiti Dance & Fitness).
Finally, Lila Evrard is also a speaker for TEDx Talks.
Certifications & Trainings:
2015: Guro (5th Degree Black Belt Master-Instructor) in Kali Majapahit (Singapore)
2009: Instructor in Pencak Silat Titipinang (Sijil Jurulatih – by Guru Utama M. Khamin, Singapore)
2005: IKAEF Kadua Guro (1st Degree Black Belt Instructor) in FMA (International Kali Arnis Eskrima Federation))
2005: Kadua Guro (1st Degree Black Belt Instructor) in Kali Sikaran (Germany)
2004: Certified in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu by Soke Sekiguchi Komei (Japan)
2003 – 2006: 4 years of intensive martial arts training in Asia (China, Thailand, Japan, Indonesia…)
2003: Training at “Lanna Muay Thai camp” in Chiang Mai (Thailand)
2003: Starts training in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu under Montgomery Sensei (Maui, Hawaii)
2002: Starts training in Filipino Martial Arts under Guro Fred Evrard
1994: Starts training in Hapkido
1992: Starts training in Jujitsu
1989: Starts training in Kung Fu
1981: Starts training in Karate